Dear AFC Families,
With the start of school and the fall soccer season, AFC will be implementing the following as mitigation measures to both prevent the spread of COVID-19 and reduce the possibility of individual or team quarantining. Our goal is to return to a healthy and happy season and protect our members all while continuing to play and watch the game we love.
Requirements for all AFC games & practices:
- No team benches to be used during games for all AFC teams. For NPL matches we are still required to provide team benches for the opposing team. We recommend that parents bring an individual folding chair for your child to use during sideline breaks and when being a substitute player. Individual sideline chairs must be spaced 6 feet apart.
- Do not attend practices or games if feeling sick or showing any COVID-related symptoms.
- All players that have been in close contact with a COVID positive case (and/or received an exposure notification from school) should contact the head coach and team manager immediately and not attend practices or games until reviewing the instructions and guidelines on notification, isolation/quarantine, and testing requirements, shown below.
Additional recommendations for AFC Coaches, Players and Parents:
- Limit the sharing of equipment. Parents please ensure your child has his/her own water bottle, shin guards, soccer ball, and pinnie at every practice and game.
- Sanitize hands after every practice and game.
- Practice social distancing when on the sidelines of games or practices.
- Wear masks on the sidelines, especially when social distancing is not possible.
- If carpooling with another family, wear a mask and when possible, keep the windows down.
Notification and Isolation Procedures for Players (and Coaches):
If a player shows COVID related symptoms, has a positive COVID test, has been in close contact with a COVID positive case, or has received an exposure notification please contact your head coach and team manager immediately. AFC has been advised by ACPHD to follow the guide for schools (shown below): Show Up for School / COVID-19 Flowchart for Parents. Please note the difference in the quarantine and testing requirements for vaccinated vs unvaccinated children. For unvaccinated players, the modified quarantine requirements that are available for schools DO NOT apply for extracurricular activities such as youth sports!
Any unvaccinated player that has been in close contact with a COVID positive case must quarantine for 10 days, even in the absence of symptoms or with a negative test result. AFC strongly recommends that vaccinated players that got in close contact with a COVID positive case also get a COVID test (even if not showing any symptoms).
For clarification the definition of a close contact is someone who was within 6 feet of a person diagnosed with COVID-19 for a total of 15 minutes or more over a 24 hour period. The definition of a close contact applies regardless of whether either person was wearing a mask.
Please help AFC by regularly communicating and positively reinforcing all the mitigation measures above.
We look forward to a great fall season together!
AFC Board of Directors